At approximately 1:50pm on Thursday (12/12/2019), Western was dispatched for a commercial structure fire at the 1400 block of Acacia Club Rd. in Hollister. Upon arrival smoke was showing from the roof and eves of a six unit, single story strip hotel. Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack, locating and extinguishing a kitchen fire. The fire was out within minutes of arrival. Units were on scene for about another hour checking for hot spots. The fire was contained to one room and the attic chase of a second room.
Maintenance personnel were alerted to the fire by a passerby and attempted to extinguish it using portable fire extinguishers but could not subdue the fire. Although they were not able to put the fire out, on site personnel did the next best thing, they shut the door to the building. Shutting the door limited the amount of oxygen the fire received and kept it in check until Western units arrived.
No one was occupying the building at the time of the fire and there were no injuries. The cause was determined to be a stove that was accidentally turned on during maintenance of the unit which spread to nearby combustible materials.