College of the Ozarks is sending 17 students to Vietnam, paired with six Vietnam Veterans, from Dec. 9-22, 2018, as part of the Patriotic Education Travel Program.
The trip is under the direction of Bryan Cizek, director of patriotic activities. This will mark the College’s fourth trip to Vietnam, but its 23rd Patriotic Education Travel trip altogether, with previous trips representing World War II, Cold War, Korean War, and Vietnam War.
“We are pleased to take students with Veterans to learn about the Vietnam War,” Cizek said. “After these trips, we are confident our students are the most knowledgeable college students in the nation about this war. Most importantly, they forge incredible relationships with our revered Veterans.”
During this trip, students and Veterans will visit various sites of the Vietnam War, including Củ Chi Tunnels, Hoa Lo Prison (Hanoi), the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), Hai Van Pass, My Lai Memorial Site, Chu Lai, Monkey Mountain, and numerous military and cultural museums and sites.
Below are the names of participants for the 2018 Vietnam Patriotic Education Travel Trip.
Student and Veteran pairings
- Veteran Tom Moe, paired with Lily Woolsey, senior elementary education major, from Lebanon, Missouri; Sara Pitts, senior elementary education major, from Grovespring, Missouri; and Rebekah Eklund, junior studio art graphic design major, from Eagle Rock, Missouri
- Veteran John Clark, paired with Kaylee Thieme, senior business administration marketing major, from Chillicothe, Missouri; Courtney Hendrix, senior psychology business administration management major, from Owensville, Missouri, and Kyle Stevens, sophomore business administration history major, from Minneola, Kansas
- Veteran Gary Littrell, paired with Michael McGinnis, sophomore biblical theological Christian ministry major, from Nixa, Missouri; Miles Mrowiec, senior computer science accounting major, from Spring Grove, Illinois; and Emma Bachali, sophomore biblical theological biblical studies major, from Centennial, Colorado
- Veteran Gary Wood, paired with Alex Weathermon, senior history social science education major, from Marionville, Missouri; Annie Boyd, junior communication arts public relations major, from Huntsville, Arkansas; and Allison Steuck, senior early childhood elementary education major, from Rich Hill, Missouri
- Veteran Robert Smith, paired with Jedidiah Friedman, senior criminal justice major, from Springfield, Missouri and Braden Farris, senior conservation and wildlife management major, from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Veteran Don Browning, paired with Cody Neal, senior business administration management major, from Bucyrus, Missouri; Christina Malzner, senior family studies social services social work and criminal justice double major, from Russellville, Missouri; and Jason Good, senior nursing major, from Sparta, Missouri
- Bryan Cizek, director of patriotic activities
- Dr. David Dalton, professor of history
- Chassidy Brittain, patriotic activities administrative assistant
- Col. James Schreffler, assistant professor of military science
- Lori Vanderpool, clinic administrator and patriotic travel nurse