Believing that folks who promote good health should “walk the talk,” the Arkansas Center for Health Improvement (ACHI) added a side challenge to the long running annual Blue and You Fitness contest. The ACHI challenge encouraged Arkansas hospitals to sign up for the Blue and You Fitness Challenge and then use the three month contest to compete against each other for regional and statewide fitness champion awards that will be provided by ACHI.
Winners will be chosen based on the Blue and You contest measurements which include: Highest percentage of employees logging 30 exercise points, highest average of most days exercises, highest percentage of eligible employees participating, and lowest dropout rate.
North Arkansas Regional Medical Center accepted the challenge. Our team has 80 participants, with more than half of the team, already logging over 700 points.
Dr. Joe Thompson, ACHI director, cites Healthy Active Arkansas as motivation for issuing the challenge to hospital personnel.
Thompson said, “Healthy Active Arkansas is a statewide strategic plan for reducing obesity and improving health that calls on all Arkansans to be active stakeholders in combating one of Arkansas’s most serious and costly epidemics.” He added, “Hospital personnel are at the forefront of our health care system and as such have a great opportunity to be role models.”
ACHI has won the Blue and You Fitness Challenge in their group category for the past two years. Thompson said, “The Blue and You Fitness Challenge is a great way to jumpstart physically active lifestyles and an event that is in perfect harmony with the Healthy Active Arkansas. We have a lot of fun with it here at ACHI, providing several opportunities to support each other as a group in our individual efforts to get and stay fit.”
In addition to the Arkansas Hospital Association, hospitals accepting ACHI’s challenge include:
- Baptist Health Medical Center, Hot Spring County
- Baptist Health Medical Center, North Little Rock
- Baptist Health Extended Care, Little Rock
- Baptist Health Medical Center, Stuttgart
- Baxter Regional Medical Center, Mountain Home
- Baptist Health Medical Center, Arkadelphia
- Baptist Health Medical Center, Little Rock
- Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute, Little Rock
- Chicot Memorial Medical Center, Lake Village
- Conway Regional Medical Center
- Drew Memorial Hospital, Monticello
- Jefferson Regional Medical Center, Pine Bluff
- Levi Hospital, Hot Springs
- North Arkansas Regional Medical Center, Harrison
- Ouachita County Medical Center, Camden
- Bernard’s Healthcare, Jonesboro
- Team Arkansas Methodist (Arkansas Methodist Medical Center), Paragould
- University of Arkansas for Medical Services, Little Rock
- University of Arkansas for Medical Services, Helena
The regional and statewide winners in the ACHI hospital fitness challenge will be announced during the first week in June. ACHI will present the winning hospitals with a plaque and Healthy Active Arkansas tee shirts.
The Arkansas Center for Health Improvement is a nonpartisan, independent, health policy center dedicated to improving the health of Arkansans. It is jointly supported by the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, the Arkansas Department of Health, Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Information about ACHI’s work is available at www.achi.net.
For more information on the Blue and You Fitness Challenge, go to : https://secure.blueandyoufitnesschallenge-ark.com/ContestInformation.apx And, more information about Healthy Active Arkansas is available at http://healthyactivearkansas.org.